Mastering Category Management is critical to your company’s growth because Category Management addresses the three most important trends of the millennium:
- The ever increasing power of retailers who focus on growing CATEGORIES instead of BRANDS.
- The digital empowerment of shoppers who seek need state satisfaction at the CATEGORY level.
- ‘Big data’s’ propensity to yield its most valuable insights at the CATEGORY level.
Mastering Category Management addresses these trends by:
- Ensuring you speak your customer’s language of category growth.
- Assuring you speak your shopper’s language of category satisfaction.
- Organizing big data at the category level where insights naturally emerge.
Prepare to invest more resources in Category Management, especially in a larger, better trained staff and the software they will need to succeed in a more complex environment. These incremental resources will be needed to:
- Mine gigabytes of household-level data for insights
- Respond to retailers’ demand for individual store assortment solutions, and
- Manage a more complex supply chain
The Category Management Association is solely responsible for the paper’s findings and conclusions; we would like to acknowledge and thank the following companies for their contributions: Acosta Sales & Marketing, Ahold, CMKG, Coca-Cola, Colgate Palmolive, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, DunnHumbyUSA, General Mills, Georgia Pacific, Interactive Edge, JDA Software, KMart, Nestle, PepsiCo, 7-Eleven, Unilever